View Single Post
Old 9th April 2022, 15:22   #6
Ducati750cc
Loves to post

Rover75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
It appears that there is no oat antifreeze in the water. I would think that probably the oil is the residue from not flushing the radiator out after the head gasket was replaced. I would give it a good flush through with water, and then add the correct oat antifreeze.

Sometimes after driving and several flushes with just plain water for a week or two there is still oil in nooks and crannies that will still keep turning up, the only way to remove all of it when plain water flushing has got the majority out is to use a low caustic non foaming detergent flush for cooling systems to remove the remainder, a word of caution though, it mustn't be left in for long, just a half hour or so idling or a short drive, follow the instructions on the tin.

Let it cool, empty then flush with clean water a couple of times, each time get it hot, then fill with antifreeze.

A further word of caution dependant on the care taken with the cooling system through its live and antifreeze used, is that this can displace internal bits of debris and rust scale which up to now were minding their own business, the fun starts when these were blocking a tiny almost rusted through component and cause a leak, which will always be a core plug that you can't get at at the rear of he engine.

I have used a dishwasher tablet or two occasionally, fully dissolved in a litre or so of boiling water then top the system up and run as above, I'm not advocating anyone doing this, just mentioning what I have had to do a couple of times in the past,