View Single Post
Old 6th June 2019, 07:21   #6
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
Is this inside information? (about the Ford plant closure) As I understood it, the meeting(s) to discuss what was going on hadnt happened yet, never mind any announcement of plans. Granted, whilst it doesnt look good (especially with US Ford execs currently in Wales), it is by no means a done deal.

The X-Trail was expected to be scaled back anyway, especially since the change in customer tastes warranted such a move. As I understood it, Nissan did not foresee job losses with redeployment being achievable? I am not sure about the cessation of the Infiniti manufacturing and potential loss of 250 jobs in Sunderland though, when they pull the brand out from Sunderland 'to concentrate on their growth markets'. If I recall they sold less than 6000 Infiniti cars in Europe! When they have plants in their popular markets it makes no sense to build ad export.

As far as ship building goes, perhaps adapting to change? LINK And again it doesnt have the workforce it once had, but it is still maintaining an order book.

As far as Peugeot cutting jobs, that was always going to happen when GM sold up. But you could find that Renault (read as Nissan) could start building their vans here to take over from the Vauxhall vans (platform shared remember from a Trafic).
It was just a clip I saw on the news last night, maybe I read too much into it, but from the report it was looking like the plant would close.