View Single Post
Old 5th January 2021, 11:15   #15
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRob View Post
I was told not so long ago that changing the dash without it and the light switch been ‘virginised’ would cause problems as 1 could over write the other or cause conflicts in the IPK memory.
It sounds like this is what has happened to your car and if I understood what I was told, it might mean you need to have both the dash and switch reprogramming from a virgin state.
Fingers crossed this is not the case and a simple battery disconnection will solve it.
The mileage store is communicated between the IPK. LSM, EWS and key transponder every 100KM

The mileage store cannot be overwritten in the IPK LSM or EWS, so as a result of this the error stored in the IPK will be VIN mismatch with LSM.

There will be nothing other than that error stored, and indeed it is stored on any car which has exceeded 186,500 miles as the mileage store is no longer updated on any vehicle that has covered in excess of 300,000 KM

Where there is a problem is in the event a virgin or new IPK is fitted to a car as it is not possible to reconfigure this after the mileage store exceeds 60 miles or 100KM.

So in answer, a second hand IPK can be fitted, the car can be driven, and the only anomaly will be "Err" displayed in the mileage trip, and the mileage store will not be updated in the LSM until the correct IPK is refitted

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote