View Single Post
Old 18th April 2009, 20:14   #14
Telferstr
Posted a thing or two

Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross 3. 1.5 Petrol 6 Speed Manual Gearbox. Great fan of the Mk1 75 which I had 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
The car is great, I have not lost one drop of water.
Gentlemen, you are of course entitled to your views, but also in these cases again, no evidence of any knowledge behind the views put forth.
Cheaper in the long run? why, how, says who?.
Cured by a new headgasket, fixed properly, and yet many have their cars "fixed properly" only to find out that the new headgasket was actually not the problem.
The fact is that these engines have a number of problems. We have got to most of them. One of the ones we have on the dissecting table at the moment, is the loose liners syndrome, which can prove fatal.
It is caused by minute movements of the liner, which, if not arrested, become bigger and bigger, until a small leak becomes a big one. Water loss, over heat, head gasket. The familiar story.
Sodium silicate, go look the stuff up, do a bit of research, and see how it works, that should be the minimum requirement before you start giving advice, I would think
There are very good reasons to believe that it can work for a Rover engine, if you know a bit about what is going on.
It is not a potion, it is not saw dust in the gear box, it has now worked for me.
As for the cost of trying, you have nothing to loose! It is not like you are damaging anything long term.
I have decided I am not getting involved in along discussion on the subject, I am going to add to this thread, initially weekly a short report, then monthly, and then, if or when the repair fails, I will let you know.
And Jules, if you are not convinced, then maybe YOU should give it a try. I was not convinced, I have tried. It works perfectly for me.
Talk about religion:lol:
Hi Kaiser,
Good to know you have had success with the K-seal additive.
The movement of the Cylinder Liners you refer to was sometimes a noted failure relating to the Freelander application of the 1.8 K Series engine. In this application the engine was subjected to more torsional stress than that found when used in the 75/ZT models. The Freelander engine sometimes infact cracked it's Cylinder Liners and this was traced to the movement of the Cylinder Head along with some movement within the Block itself. Following investigation and engineering work, the new Cylinder Head Gasket Kit KUA000080 was introduced, which included a new Oil Feed Ladder Rail design and also used with the previously introduced Steel Location Dowels for the Cylinder Head which replace the original plastic composite type. This new combination gives a more positive location for the Cylinder Head to the Cylinder Block, with the new Steel Dowels assisting in preventing sideways movement etc., of the Head. Engineers had suspected this movement was the possible if not the main cause in the majority of cases of cracked Cylinder Liners.
The new Oil Feed Ladder Rail also contributes to the improved clamping arrangements of Cylinder Head to the Block and therefore used along with the new improved Head Gasket and shim, reduces the likelyhood of the Cylinder Head Gasket failing again, especially in a 75/ZT application. Subject of course to a good standard of workmanship and a sound no loss cooling system.
Regards,
Telfer.
Telferstr is offline   Reply With Quote