View Single Post
Old 10th October 2021, 07:35   #17
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
Ian - I am genuinely intrigued. If the mods did not give your car higher performance, make it more pretty or attractive, what exactly were the mods?

Well, I don't think the CDT with 131 BHP is a dog. I can believe and would expect that a 160 remap would improve the car's driveability, but I don't see how it can be safer unless the driver is one who takes risks and needs the enhanced performance to recover from his/her mistakes.

The suspension, brakes, chasis of the car were designed to match the engine's performance. Unless an insurer tests every modified car as part of the quoting process, how can they possibly know whether the modified car is safer or less safe?

Most reputable insurers do not like modifications, which I think is perfectly understandable from a risk management perspective. Insurance is about nothing other than risk assessment and cover.

A number of mods, full size spare wheel, self dimming mirror, FBH, puddle lights, change of dash clocks so I can access the digital stuff, change of indicator stalk, aux socket but wont be seen when the car is parked up.
Front foglights, reversing sensors,embossed headrests, electric sunblind, walnut dash, tow bar, electric memory seats can all be seen but externally make little difference. The reversing sensors may be the most noticeable thing even though they are colour coded and the seats the most desirable if one looks through the window.

Flash wheels make the car more attractive but I have standard wheels.
suspension and brakes will be performance mods.

I spoke to Admiral insurance about fitting 15 inch wheels with snow tyres, no problem was their reply.

I firm am of the opinion notify the insurance company of any mods and let them decide if it is premium a/effecting. Most of the mods they just make a note of.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote