View Single Post
Old 17th June 2022, 09:29   #57
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

For Scotland to separate itself from, not only England but the rest of the UK, would be a tragedy for all concerned. There is so much personal reluctance to even think of that happening. I wonder what happened to legendary Scottish foresight and appreciation of the benefits of joint enterprise.

I remember as a very young boy in Liverpool (circa 1948) the annual marches of the Liverpool Scottish Regiment complete with banners, fifes, pipes and drums. I was 5 years old and, having a Scottish family connection, was the mascot marching at the front of the parade.

Alongside the Pipe Major, as he twirled the Mace some 30 feet into the air, never failing to catch it as it returned (never ever let it be said to fall). They had me dressed with every detail so important even to the miniature sporran and kilt, but a Tam’ rather than the bearskin that would have covered me completely.

Those wonderful memories abide and must have happened all over the country. That’s why any, any, referendum just must include the rest of the old alliance.