View Single Post
Old 18th March 2021, 09:32   #62
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnu View Post
I fitted a pair of these tyre protectors today. The screws that hold them in place are quite weedy IMO. I presume the protectors are just meant to catch a loose, broken off bit of spring, not support the corner of the car on the broken, shortened spring? I was also surprised they were not lhs/rhs handed.
Once the spring breaks (given the nature of the material I don't think they could simply distort but not fracture...) then the potential energy from the compressive forces you'd expect to be constantly present during normal use will have, by and large, been lost. Then you have a very complicated series of possible conflict scenarios for bits of spring dynamically entwining with each other; regardless, the energy/power of the whole spring immediately disappears/is vastly reduced to be replaced by a significantly shortened spring and more of a 'spongy deadweight' (hopefully) keeping the collapsed spring enmeshed but captured by the protector with the sharp bits safe/clear of tyre rubber.
I've warned members that there are 'genuine' replacement dampers out there that have apparently been re-tooled and will NOT accept the MGR protector kit; it's a subtle design change and if you have replacement dampers already fitted you will soon know if you attempt retrofit protectors.
The safety aspects that were raised when this problem surfaced in 2003(?) and the fact that the then OEM took recall action suggests real liability issues existed.
I'm not sure if MGR started fitting protector kits on the production line but under normal circumstances the quick fix recall/field modification would have been designed out ie the strut lower spring plate would probably have incorporated a retaining feature (an upturned flange...?) by the manufacturer (Delphi I think but there could have been other suppliers). It's unfortunate that in 2005 MGR went bust so I guess it got 'overlooked' unless someone on here (for sure) knows differently.
Early days SIAC should have continued to either fit kits or introduced a modified damper - it's a dangerous design fault! Anyone out there know more to the contrary? Whatever, new (China?) factory dampers (using modified tooling..?) appear to still have the same design 'fault' after 15 years but as yet no retro kit (not even a warning) available. In this case are they selling dangerous products? Not knowing is one thing, knowing but doing nothing about it is entirely different.
All I'm suggesting is buyer beware
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote