View Single Post
Old 22nd July 2007, 21:23   #1
Simon
Banned

-

Default Vroom Vroom! (A "what I did to my car today" type of thread)

A fortunate break in this awful weather today meant I could clean the car

Whilst I had my head under the bonnet cleaning the engine bay (as you do) I stood and pondered (as I often do)... "What if...?"

The "What if" today went along the lines of "What if the opening to the airbox was bigger? It would allow more air in to the engine. Not only that I can remove the cold-air feed from the lower bumper that so far is bringing in a lot of NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- from the road into the airbox."

I then thought "What happens if Mr.Airbox meets Mr.Hacksaw....?"

I decided to test this theory... Now I should point out I would not recommend this for the light-hearted or those of a caring disposition to original MGR parts but for those with a devious side then there is some wierd joyful feeling of hacking away at plastic with not much plan of where one is heading.

Anyhow... It turned out I hacked away the part of the lower airbox where the original shanon tube assembly joins. This created an opening approximately three times the original orifice size.

What does it acheive? Well, I dare say a marginal improvement in engine breathing and performance but this could well be the placebo effect. What is definately not a placebo effect is the big grin factor. From 0-3200rpm (or whatever the first VIS valve opening rpm is) it sounds like your usual run-of-the-mill KV6. Once that little valve opens.... oh boy! What a lurvely noise. A tad loud, but hey... that's all part of the fun!
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote