Thread: The Eurosausage
View Single Post
Old 10th June 2021, 16:59   #22
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgies Dad View Post
Nothing to moan about,the UK signed up to the deal.

No chilled meats to be imported from non EU countries,nothing to debate, its been agreed by our Government
Yes, you are right - to a certain extent. The UK was strong armed into a dogs breakfast that is the NI Protocol otherwise it was going to be 'no deal' time - the UK could have lived with that much better than could the EU.
I think everyone expected equitable/mutually beneficial solutions to the anticipated anomalies that inevitable would arise - relatively minor anomolies that is - pragmatic give/take solutions.
Unless the EU wise-up and retrieve their dummy the UK will either invoke Article 16 of the withdrawal agreement (and they would be within their rights to do so given the recent shenanigans) or we wait 42 or so months and let the good citizens of NI aire their views thro' the pre-agreed referendum to accept the status quo or shove it into the Irish Sea along with the border that goes with it.
The Republic are already suffering the fruits of their staunch support of the EU against Brexit
- reduced fishing rights (because the EU have divied out to other members a sizeable chunk of what Ireland already had pre-Brexit)
- a harmonised Corporation Tax that will cost Ireland's economy €3Bn/annum and likely departure of numerous prestige International corporate HQ's
- a probable Commission attack on Ireland's International neutrality stance
and, who would have thought good old Germany would be kicking against the EU law makers only 6 months after Brexit....
There are some arguments to support what (ex) remainers were shouting and flag waving about but boy am I glad the UK were able to go their own way on securing/funding a C-19 vaccine policy and how the past 6 months have shown much of the anti-Brexit hype was indeed a load of hot air.
I know we all don't agree but we really are far better off out than in - and it will get better, much better for an unfettered UK (and in due course, NI too).

Last edited by rab60bit; 10th June 2021 at 17:04..
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote