Thread: KV6 Thermostats
View Single Post
Old 17th July 2021, 07:34   #13
Ducati750cc
Loves to post

Rover75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffa75 View Post
I have been in contact with x-part myself who after being informed of other members of the club being affected by more than one parts supplier selling thermostats that appear to all be operating at the same temperature. The adviser has stated they will investigate the issue with the manufacturer.
They stated that it is the same supplier they have had for years so.. from my point of view, it could simply be that the wrong stat is being fitted and has gone un-noticed. A straight forward simple issue that should be fairly straight forward to correct I would have thought.

I myself have ordered a new thermostat from summit garage, to replace the unit I fitted in november that has always opened too early.

Due to the possibility of an issue with the thermostat opening too early on the new part despite coming from summit garage (main dealer), due to the possibility of an issue at manufacturer level, I will be testing the thermostat opening temperature tomorrow with the use of a digital temperature probe and if possible, taking photographs showing the temperature of the water and if possible the opening of the thermostat.

The new thermostat sourced from summit garage, obtained via x-part came in a box, with the saic/roewe and MG branding with other information and with an address in China. (Quite honestly think the sticker was applied at dealer but parts inside are from the uk

It's not a particularly difficult task changing the thermostat on the V6 but it is pretty soul destroying after spending a fair amount of money on parts and then doing the work to find the part is faulty.. even more so when you begin to see other people also having the exact same issue.

And while a work around such as a second thermostat in the top hose could well be a solution. Surely the correct steps to take is to look into where the issue is arising and see if it can be corrected before making a modification/work around. As it's important to remember that the original thermostat fitted in the V of the block can still leak or break up with age or the thermostat eventually jamming shut causing a flow restriction so later down the line.. still requiring a replacement. Then, you'll be left with the same situation, paying good money for a thermostat that you know isn't likely to work as it is intended.

Don't forget to suspend the stat with a piece of string or wire in the water to keep it clear of contacting the pan to prevent metal to metal heat transfer.