View Single Post
Old 27th March 2024, 13:01   #7
ashy90
Avid contributor

MG ZT 160 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
As the V6 cam cover gasket is sheet metal are you saying that there is no contamination of the camshafts and valve gear, only the underside of the cam cover and top of the gasket?

If so, I was going to suggest checking that the coolant is reaching a proper temperature but you've said that you've renewed the thermostat. Did you follow the official bleeding procedure (raising the expansion tank etc.)?

How much coolant are you adding after 2-3 days? Can you see the 'MAX' marker when looking into the tank through the filler neck?

Simon
That is correct. No mayo underneath the rocker gaskets, only above on the top face of the gaskets and in rocker covers. I cleaned it all out, replaced the mesh filters with some clean ones from a spare engine, and ensured the breather holes were clear. Checked all the breather pipes were not clogged.

Yeah, changed the thermostat as it had a small leak from one of the O rings.
Have driven it in diagnostic mode, can’t remember exact figures now, but I think temp was in the 90’s when driving, creeping up to around 100 in traffic and fan cuts in. I’ll double check it on drive home this eve.

Sometimes when I check the expansion tank there’s no coolant in there, probably only takes a cup full to reach max mark. Other times I check and I can see coolant in the tank. Seems random.

Last edited by ashy90; 27th March 2024 at 13:08..
ashy90 is offline   Reply With Quote