View Single Post
Old 15th October 2020, 16:46   #41
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
Simon, I really find it amazing that you continue to equivocate over this.
Good afternoon Avulon,

In my posts I always try my utmost to be as clear as I possibly can so I'm sorry to hear that I've failed.
Fortunately John has summarised perfectly what I tried to say:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rab60bit View Post
Simon is trying to emphasise that the 'official' servicing information ... only addressed replacing belts ... 'We' now know from +10 further years empirical experience that the OEM should have recommended a 'drive belt system' replacement schedule because other components/assemblies within that system were suspect/inadequate ....

Very well put John, thank you.

Returning to Avulon, you made some specific points in your reply and I feel that I owe you a better explanation soI'll now try.
Quote:
But to say that the belt didn't fail, something else did isn't really any help.
I believe it is helpful because it encourages people to look deeper. Belt failures are extremely rare so when they do occur the opportunity to learn from the experience should not be wasted. We have indeed done that!
Quote:
If the belt had been changed anytime before this catastrophe by a competent mechanic then the other parts would have also been changed.
I agree but sadly life is imperfect and not all mechanics are competent as we know from the tales of woe we hear from club members. But what you say here Avulon is exactly what I'm recommending; that the belts and pulleys are renewed before 90,000 miles has been reached.
Quote:
I think what you really want is for the service manual to say - change the pulleys at 6 years/60k - (and while you're the there change the belts anyway).
Almost exactly that yes; every 60 or 70,000 miles but irrespective of years elapsed. This is a much more realistic service interval than every 6 years which is so often a waste of money.
Quote:
Well it's not getting re-written now is it?
That's where I'm hoping that threads of this kind will be very helpful by making KV6 owners aware of a better more cost-effective maintenance schedule.

Simon