View Single Post
Old 3rd November 2021, 13:40   #574
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool More visitors...........................

............................ arriving on the 23rd October. My friends from Kent. I had done an extra shop but Lisa had ordered a home delivery, to me, via Tesco's. That turned up at 16.00, I couldn't believe how much she had ordered. Anyway boxes emptied and the goods were left out on the counter.

I had prepared a chicken casserole in the slow cooker earlier in the day, and my mouth was watering. I was expecting them to be with me by 17.30 but it was nearer 18.45 before they got to me. They got held up by road works, car accident and a traffic jam on the A303 at Stonehenge.
Still they were here, kettle on whilst they got unpacked. I had made up all the beds including the camp bed for their son, John Louis, to sleep on.
I put some spuds on to have with the casserole.

After dinner we washed up, John Louis was allowed some sweets before he turned in for the night a bit later than his normal time of 20.00. Nearly 21.30 before he settled down. Both John and Lisa were tired after the long trip so both decided to turn in at about 22.30.
I had a large single malt and cleared up the last bits in the kitchen before I turned in.
Now I'm sleeping on the Z bed in the spare room. Last time I used it about a two years ago one of the slats broke. And again another of the slats snapped. Too late to repair so it was an uncomfortable night for me.

Sunday.
After breakfast we all went to Looe in the Bear. Weather was gorgeous with blue sky and warm sunshine. We walked up the West side of the harbour then retraced our steps and went around the East side towards the beach. John Louis was feeling a tad unwell with a sore throat but brightened up once on the beach. Him and his Dad went rock climbing. Lisa and I stayed on the beach.

We bought pasty's for dinner, and found a café to have a spot of lunch. Then another wander around. Found a chemist to get some child's Lemsip and some Strepsils for John Louis. Then a trip into the amusement arcade for a bit of light hearted fun. Won nothing.
We headed back to the Bear for our trip home. Stopped off at the Copley Arms in Hessonford for a pint.
Home to heat up the pasty's, I fried off some potatoes that were left over from the day before. Cooked a sprouts as well.

John Louis turned in early, He had his Lemsip in bed.
Then it was cider, gin and malt whiskey time. Boy! They sure can drink. I only had a few ciders and two single malts. Then I went up to repair my bed. Should have done it earlier but I forgot. But I made a temporarily repair. Must have done it right as I slept right through.

Monday.
We was off to Polperro, in the Land Rover. Same route as going to Looe but through and out the other side. Only about 5 miles further on. Parked up and we walked down towards the harbour in the warm sunshine. John Louis was feeling better. Again we went either side of the harbour before finding our way onto the beach for a stone skimming competition. John Louis is very competitive, and does not like losing. So John and I had to fail on the last throw.

Found a pub to have some lunch but we was too late to order food. So we went with out.
Drove home via Seaton to have a walk along the beach. There are always at least two footballs carried in the Landy. So that was a game of football on the beach. Again we had to let John Louis win, otherwise we would still be there.
On the way home we stopped off at Codfathers in the Street to get fish n chips to eat at home. Bloomin' ansum as well.
More falling down water was consumed after John Louis went to bed.

Tuesday.
Off to Charlestown in the Landy. Visiting the shipwreck centre. Well worth a visit. But boring when you are an eight year old. Still Lisa kept him busy.
Charlestown is where Poldark is filmed along with the cliffs of Cornwall. All the country house shots are filmed in Bristol.
So there is lower section of the harbour to walk round. Plenty of places to eat scattered around. We stopped at HarbourQ and had the most amazing pulled pork with dirty fries meal. It was huge, and all three was was beaten by the meal. John Louis had some Taco's, and they were too much for him.

We carried on walking around till I missed my step and my right knee connected with the cobble stones. I thought I had broken my knee by the amount of pain I was in. But John and Lisa got me to my feet. A café stallholder came over with a chair for me to sit on. Then she very kindly bought me a glass of water to drink. John is a trained first aider and he had a look at my knee, which was very swollen.
Next thing I know there was a couple of paramedic's there. They had been called to a earlier incident at the harbour.

And they had seen me fall. I hobbled up to the ambulance where my knee was examined. And being a diabetic I was also checked over about my blood sugars. Blood pressure and temperature taken. All ok, but my knee was the main problem. But it was not broken. So they strapped it up and they then drove the ambulance around to where the Landy was parked. They gave Lisa strict instructions about how to see how I was at home. Any concern then phone 111 or 999.

I felt an absolute idiot in tripping up like that but glad I was with friends to help me. When we got home John and Lisa wanted to swap the beds around to I could sleep in my own bed. But I said there was no need as I would sleep on the couch downstairs. "No you are not", said Lisa. So they swapped my Z bed with the camp bed. John Louis was happy with that.
John made me a hot drink and I was given painkillers and sent off to bed. Where I slept for 10 hours straight.

Wednesday.
I was going to drive the Bear to Tintagel with them but they both said NO to that. John looked at my knee, and the swelling had gone down and a bruise was starting to come out. He took the strapping off and that made it feel better. I managed to get into the shower ok. That refreshed me. They wanted me to rest at home but I said I would come along but just wouldn't do so much walking up and down the cliffs.
As it was the castle at Tintagel was off limits owning to adverse weather conditions.

But we still made a day of it. Lisa made me take some more painkillers. I don't like taking them as they make me so tired. But the biting wind kept me awake. I did go up the hill to look over the towards Merlin's cave. The rest of them climbed further up. I then decided to go down towards the café and the loo's. They caught me up up at the bottom. So after a wee and a cuppa they was going down to the beach. I stayed where I was, with another cuppa.

Once they came back i was made to travel back up to the town in the shuttle bus, a Land Rover Defender. They came too, I was glad for the ride as I doubt very much I would have made it. We had a wander around the town but I was really feeling very tired, and the knee was playing me up. But I kept quiet.

We then drove up to Boscastle, I have such fond memories of here with my Val. I managed to walk as far as the harbour wall. They went down to the beach, not a proper beach as of such. Then whilst they climbed back up and went to the harbour I phoned pub to book a table for dinner. Most of the usual ones were fully booked but the one at St.Domonick had a table available at 19.00.
When they came back I told them that we had a table booked.

I was made to sit down halfway back, and John would bring the Landy down to collect me. Lisa sat with me and told me off for walking too far. I must admit I was feeling it for walking as far as I had. Then the Landy was there. Once in the warm I wanted to sleep but John kept me awake as I was the navigator. We made it back to the "Who'd Thought It Inn" in good time. Had a lovely meal and a couple pints of Rattler.

Then home to a warm house. I had put the heater timer on before leaving this morning. John Louis was very chatty this evening, a sure sign he was back to normal. He loves reading amongst his other interests of football, swimming, karate, cubs and more football. He plays for the Dartford under 11's and trains at the Gillingham under 11's ground. He has won countless trophies at football. Not bad for a 8 year old. Mum and Dad don't push him to do more but leave him to make up his own mind at what he wants to do.

Once John Louis went to bed out came the gin's. Lisa said that I had a choice of a couple of painkillers or a gin or two. But they amount to about the same, so I went down the gin path. The knee was feeling better after 5 gins but I turned in soon after. They too turned in as they were going home the next day and didn't want to leave to late.

Thursday.
I got up fairly early, showered and had my breakfast. The phoned for a cab to take me to the garage to collect Strawberry. It had been towed in a week earlier after the gearbox actuator had failed. The SMART garage had phoned me yesterday to say it was ready. So Strawberry was home before any of my guests surfaced. I told them that the garage had dropped it off otherwise I would have got another telling off for going to collect her.

Then it was time to say bye bye. John Louis thanked me for a lovely stay, neither Mum and Dad had asked him to say that, and it came as a surprise to them as much as me when he said it. I know it's daft but I could feel the tears welling up. Lisa gave me a huge hug and she also had a few tears. John gave me a man hug and told me to get a doctors appointment about the knee.
And with that they was gone.

They sent me text to say that they got home in a shade over 5 hours.

It took me nearly 3 days to sort the beds out and put the spare pillows, duvets and blankets away. 3 lots of washing done in the same time. I love having guests but oh! the clearing up afterwards.
My doctors appointment is in 2 weeks time.

There is other news but I'll post that up soon. Plus I'll get some photo's posted up as well.

Thanks for reading.

Keep safe.

233,431. That’s our second meet done, no.3 next weekend.

onen hag oll

Last edited by FLYING BANANA; 3rd November 2021 at 13:47.. Reason: Spellin'
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote