Thread: Clutch problem
View Single Post
Old 23rd June 2010, 06:53   #1
Charles
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Connossieur SE

Default Clutch problem

I have an unusual problem with the hydraulic clutch on my Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur. It became increasingly difficult to change gear with the engine running (but not with the engine stopped). Eventually the clutch failed altogether. A friend who used to be in the trade concluded that a new slave cylinder was required, and advised me to have a new clutch fitted at the same time since the car has done over 100,000 miles.

Two garages quoted prices in the region of £1,200 but my local garage, F R Pulleyn of Haxby, York, quoted £675 so I arranged for the car to be taken there. On looking at it, however, they refilled the system with brake fluid, bled and pressurised it and could find nothing further wrong with it. As the clutch was then working perfectly, they suggested leaving it at that.

The clutch then worked perfectly for three days but suddenly failed altogether when I was changing gear at a junction. There was a "clunk" and the pedal went right to the floor and stayed there without having any effect. Fortunately, I had just engaged first gear so I thought I could limp home. On the way, I managed to prise the pedal up from the floor with my foot, pumped it a few times, and it started working normally again.

I took the car back to the garage the following morning but it was still working perfectly and the garage could see nothing wrong with it. I was advised to carry on using it and go back if further problems arose. That was yesterday.

The clutch continued to work perfectly for the rest of the day but obviously I have no confidence in it and am concerned that it may fail again without warning.

The garage can suggest no explanation for the sudden failure and recovery and neither can I.

Obviously I don't want to pay out £675 for a new clutch and cylinder if it can be avoided, but equally I don't want to be left with a clutch that only works when it feels like it! Has anyone else encountered a similar situation, or can anyone suggest a solution, please?
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote