View Single Post
Old 22nd November 2018, 10:26   #12
Gunnerhavesome
Avid contributor

2001 Rover 75 2.0 V6 Con SE, Range Rover P38 4.6 for my Russian winter home

Location: France Feb to October/Sevastopol Crimea November to Jan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastPete View Post
I that there are data to show that at lower temperatures (7 degrees or less) winter tyres will perform better in all road conditions - they only become worse than summer tyres at higher temperatures. So between about December and February, when average temperatures in the UK are below 10 degrees, winter tyres are not a bad idea - they perform better on cold damp roads in winter, not just when there is snow and ice about. I can testify to this - on our Skoda Yeti, I feel much safer on the damp, greasy fenland roads when the winters go on in November/December (I haven't done it yet, because it has been so mild until the last few days). Summer tyres feel much more skittish in winter conditions on our local roads.

Pete
I live in Russia over the winter and have winter tyres on my 4x4.(it is the law but not really enforced) Winter tyres are not just for snow and ice, and there are different types of winter tyre. They are designed to and work better in the cold conditions than summer tyres due to the compound difference from summer tyres. Even before the snow and ice set in here its well below zero most days and my tyres work just fine, but as written in previous posts just because its a 4x4 doesn't make it special you still need to drive to the conditions. I see many a Russian stupeedo in his BMW X whatever and land cruisers even with winter tyres stuck and skidded off the road because of their crazy driving attitudes.
Gunnerhavesome is offline   Reply With Quote