View Single Post
Old 13th January 2022, 23:04   #63
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil th Barrow View Post
Simon says momentum. We drivers call it flow. We look around and into th distance more than th average driver and try to keep th flow going.

MSS sounds prejudice toward lorry's and i think it says more about him than lorry drivers on his precious journey that as been slightly slowed. Were in th high way code does it say lorry's carnt over take. Maybe if he took up a HGV licence he could be more educated in th most legislated business in th UK..
I am not at all prejudiced towards lorry drivers. In fact, I consider fuel tanker drivers to be the most skilled of all driver on the roads.

I do think that you are making this personal as opposed to facing the reality, which is that on 2-lane carriageways such as the A14 and the A1, lorry drivers wanting to overtake other lorries often cause more hold ups than any other type of road user. Technically I wauld not call it overtaking because the material difference in speed between the two vehicles is usually negligible. Hence the problem.

Equally, the middle lane residents cause similar problems on Motorways but their impact is less because such roads retain at least one lane of free flowing traffic. By contrast 'overtaking' lorries on two-lane carriageways reduce the speed of the whole road to their own speed. Technically, I would say that they becomes an obstruction to traffic flow.

Surely, you cannot possibly defend the actions that I am describing?

Personally, I find most lorry drivers to be very courteous on the roads. But the overtaking habit that seems to be in the lorry drivers' handbook is a source of problems on the roads.

PS. I was going to convince you about my not being prejudiced by saying that some of my best friends are lorry drivers. But on reflection, I don't have any friends, so technically I cannot possibly hold prejudices.

Last edited by MSS; 13th January 2022 at 23:23..
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote