View Single Post
Old 14th January 2022, 08:09   #65
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
Simon - that is exactly what the car drivers end up doing, which then causes long queues of traffic ...
In that event what should happen is that cars following the overtaking lorry move into lane 1 thereby sharing the load between lanes 1 and 2 and shortening the queue. These days that's exactly what I do. I find it disperses frustration whilst I wait for conditions to improve with some music playing and enjoying the relaxing ambience of the interior of my "baby Bentley". Once the queue clears I'm on my way.

But what of the time lost I hear you ask. Well it's not worth worrying about since I will certainly encounter traffic lights, mini roundabouts designed to slow progress on the main road, road works with the now obligitory traffic control and the current scourge of road closures. Oh, I almost forgot the 20 mph speed cameras and the average speed deterrent now being used permanently on A roads.

So in summary, there are many different obstacles to a high average speed making it unfair to hold the lorry driver solely responsible.

Simon