View Single Post
Old 14th January 2022, 10:57   #67
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque2me View Post
Rail, in actual fact, is fast and the best mode of transport for 200-400 miles.
The railways used to do the bulk (minerals to finished goods) which when left at their destination were distributed by the Trojans of BRS (and their ilk). Thus 600 tons could be left at various way points for electric vehicles to sub-load to the nearby destinations. You would need 14 x 44-tonne lories for the same effort (14 drivers against 3 driver/guard combo).

We also used to have a railcar system which could have been expanded and improved ala channel tunnel rolling stock!

All to save a few pence in the short term!

Kev

The modern rail system lacks capacity on the actual lines, on one single line they often have to slot in local station stops, the high speed through trains and all of the heavy slow freight. There is an east - west mainline at the back of here, just 100 yards behind, Hull to Liverpool - it is interesting just stood watching what the line has to cope with on a daily basis and if there are no breakdowns.

Just one up line, one down at each local station, with a gap between the two lines where there was once a bypass, pre-1960's, when traffic levels declined. Rail needs major investment, to increase it's capacity for both passengers and freight. If we want faster services, we need a more capable system than we had pre-1960's, not a less capable one.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote