Old 16th September 2021, 17:02   #6
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Hi Jim,

I did this job in the spring so perhaps I can help and you'll be pleased to know that the subframe does not need to be "removed" or lowered.

The problem is, as you've found out, access to the rear bush bolts. The official method, which I found works perfectly, is to remove the anti-roll bar saddle clamp bolts. The clamp can then be lifted off and the bar moved forwards giving you full access to that pesky front bolt. You will then be able to start the bolts off by hand in five seconds and even fit a hexagon socket and torque wrench so that these important suspension bolts can be tightened properly to the specified value.

The anti-roll bar saddle clamp bolts are difficult to see. You'll need some slim socketry and some flexible attachments. They're not particularly tight (25Nm I think) but they might be rusty.

Start the rear bush bolts with the outer balljoint disconnected. There's no need to take off the hub.

Simon
Thanks Simon, I dont recall anyone saying to remove the anti roll bar clamps before and I'd always wondered about torquing the bolts.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote