View Single Post
Old 15th February 2013, 22:59   #75
Tim_Burgess
This is my second home

1999 75 Connoisseur SE 2.5, 2000 75 Classic SE 2.0, 2012 Lancia Delta 3, 2016 Dacia Sandero Ambiance

Maybe it's just me; but I wonder if we're in danger of throwing the baby out with the bathwater where OVP is concerned.

One of my pet hates is Over-restoration on a vehicle to the point where its history is lost. OVP has little or no merit as a launch or pre-production car because (A) we now know that earlier examples exist and (B) she's a poverty spec in both the trim and engine departments.

However, her real value is in the life she has led as part of MGR's very chequered history. Apart from her occasional TV appearnces she has been used (and abused) round the Longbridge complex all her life and bears the scars to prove it. Surely, she would be better being "preserved" rather than restored as an example of the unique contribution she's made to Longbridge and certainly, to me at least, a darn sight more interesting for it.

As my Dad used to say "too much paint and powder spoils a pretty girl". Why not just get OVP roadworthy and show her "warts and all". That's patina and history that money just can't buy.
Tim_Burgess is offline   Reply With Quote