View Single Post
Old 22nd November 2020, 11:42   #9
Jamiewelch
Posted a thing or two

Alpina D3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf Best View Post
My impression was from the chap who ran diagnostics on my car was quite simple, the MAF read well below what it should have done because the EGR valve was sticking open and when that was resolved the car ran much better.

I had thought the MAF sensor was faulty and had unplugged it, however I was told the EGR was also disabled by unplugging the MAF, and was advised against MAFless mapping which use the MAP sensor as a reference after I enquired.

The fact of the matter for me, 135 is more than enough, the improved pickup of the car was so marked after cleaning out the EGR and inlet manifold as to not worry about becoming one of the boy racer brigade belching black smoke out from the exhaust.

Alf
the 135 is 129bhp from factory. You need to take a spin in a car with a custom remap. You will know if the MAF is knackered as you will have nothing below 2k and all of a sudden it will pick up and go.

If a car smokes after a remap, it has either been requested to be smokey (some people enjoy rolling coal), or you have an issue with boost and getting the air in, a car with a spotless manifold, egr and intercooler can produce 155~ bhp with no smoke. You can get a bit more torque with smoke but I'm personally a fan of no smoke.

Drop sewerman a PM and he can tell you the difference, he went from a factory map to the "160" map to a custom mafless map. He has no smoke at all on both of his cars.
Jamiewelch is offline   Reply With Quote