View Single Post
Old 22nd November 2020, 17:30   #10
Alf Best
Avid contributor

MG-ZTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiewelch View Post
the 135 is 129bhp from factory. You need to take a spin in a car with a custom remap. You will know if the MAF is knackered as you will have nothing below 2k and all of a sudden it will pick up and go.

If a car smokes after a remap, it has either been requested to be smokey (some people enjoy rolling coal), or you have an issue with boost and getting the air in, a car with a spotless manifold, egr and intercooler can produce 155~ bhp with no smoke. You can get a bit more torque with smoke but I'm personally a fan of no smoke.

Drop sewerman a PM and he can tell you the difference, he went from a factory map to the "160" map to a custom mafless map. He has no smoke at all on both of his cars.

The symptoms you describe of a knackered MAF were exactly what I was experiencing, leading me to unplug the MAF.

When the John at MGR MOT and auto services ran the diagnostic on the car, it was found to be the EGR valve not closing, and after cleaning that and the inlet manifold, the flat spot completely disappeared.

John explained that unplugging the MAF also disables the EGR, so it isn't a good test to see if the MAF is failing, which when tested was in fact perfect.

The intercooler pipes are fairly recent along with a set of viton O rings, and the boost is healthy with no losses.

He has been working on MG Rover cars for over 30 years, and I respect both his knowledge and advice.

I've no need for a remap, I'm very happy with what I have at present it's more than fast enough for me.

Alf
Alf Best is offline   Reply With Quote