View Single Post
Old 26th May 2019, 10:59   #2
J1MBO
This is my second home

Roverless & now carless

Thanked 2,428 Times in 1,301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab60bit View Post
I've just fitted a Mk4 DVD drive unit (ex BMW X5). It seems to work and the BMW 16:9 bordmonitor is displaying OK. I found a BMW disc in the unit (it ejects and accepts a disc OK) but it's not reading anything. The disc has BMW and "1993-1998 Navigation Technologies B.V. Part No. T1000-0495" and Great Britain 1999-1 on it so it's really old stuff, is it even a DVD?
Will a DVD reader (Mk4) read a CD disc from a Mk3 - I've got the original 2004 Navteq that came with my HiLine - just so I can test it's actually working or will I have to obtain a more up to date BMW DVD version first.
Just want to be sure I've not got a duff DVD drive.....and it's now started to show a BMW X5 splash screen
Hi John

The Mk4 can read CD-ROMs as that's what is used to upgrade the system ie: to install the latest software or update the splashscreen, though I've never tried seeing if it would read a Mk3 navigation CD.

Have you also upgraded to a widescreen tv/video unit yet as the system isn't going to display correctly until you have one installed.

As previously mentioned I've a BMW Road Map Europe High 2009-2 DVD which even though being old would be a better bet to check your Mk4 with, plus a v:32 SW 4-1/02 update CD-ROM with a MG-Rover splashscreen.

Jim
J1MBO is offline   Reply With Quote