View Single Post
Old 25th August 2019, 18:50   #85
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

There are several advantages of increasing age, two of which, knowing when and to whom, is to lie. That’s deliberate and usually best if a result of wisdom and experience.

However the unexplainable inability to distinguish between the candles on the cake and one’s collar size is, I’m frequently told, rather silly. That’s when the first advantage comes into its own. Hence the reply: ‘Yes, I know that dear, I was only joking’. Waiting for the expected look of mocking scorn is priceless. And funny when she realises she’s been had.

Now in my trombone years, I have acquired the wisdom to seek continued marital harmony with a visit to Zara. Never fails, although her memory is better than mine and she remembers every . single . one . of our early years so comparisons are frequent and she now needs a new wardrobe.

With the other advantage of age, experience, comes the knowledge there are now precious few years left to fully experience every virtue, and I do.

I’ve been very careful to gently discourage her from taking driving lessons. Sadly and regrettably that means I simply have to drive my 75 even more times than I otherwise would have. Well, somebody has to.