View Single Post
Old 22nd February 2024, 16:28   #7
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Insurance, especially Motor, is a moveable feast.

As ‘The Man from The Pru’ for 25years I canvassed, sold, administered claims and often negotiated settlements. I retired from the betting game some 30 years ago and there hasn’t been much change in principle since then. Other that is than premium racking, obviously. The premium with today’s online preference is a variable of the first order and there is always a variable base from company to company. And within the same company.

The cost of replacement and/or repairs in the event damage for ‘our’ cars is yet another variable! If presented with an exorbitant price rise at renewal time, get an independent valuation (but don’t hoover or clean the car beforehand). If you are not happy with the renewal premium, brandish that valuation.

Mine is covered for 3PF&T and it’s a rather nice one, with unusually low mileage having previously been owned from new by a lady solicitor. No, not that kind of solicitor!

Start searching a month before renewal for quotes and remember, whatever we think our cars are worth, think again. We are only paying for the insurance, not doing it.