View Single Post
Old 21st July 2019, 01:54   #236
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Well, That wasn't much fun.
I installed the poly bushings today, what an awkward job.
Things came apart quite well. The O2 sensor was in the way of the rear bushing bolt but a bit of levering got the exhaust shifted. Seems the power unit had been floating around with the bushing collapsed.
The old bushing was totally shot, the center having broken away fron the mount. I hacksawed the metal bushing sleeve and drifted the old bushing out. Then the fun began. I spent way too long trying to get the new bushing in and finally resorted to using a C-clamp (G-clamp to you Brits) as a third hand to help hold the bushing in place while I used Arctic's broomstick trick to force the rim into place. What a relief when it popped into place!
More engine levering got it back into the car and I was relieved to find that no damage had been done to the exhaust. It seems the very sporty exhaust note must be due to the innards of the silencers having given up the ghost.
While the undertray was off I replaced a couple of missing fasteners and got everything buttoned back up.
Just dealing with some very sore arthritic hands after that job so the test drive can wait till tomorrow.
Next job-Belts and water pump in September. Something to look forward to

Last edited by Rich in Vancouver; 21st July 2019 at 05:04..
Rich in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote