View Single Post
Old 23rd July 2019, 11:44   #23
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
mss, you spent a lot of time on that

how many job are unfulfilled and how may eligible people are on the "dole"
You think all these projects will clear the dole queue, lol, no it wont.
Where do you get the money from to keep financing these projects?

macafee2
Source of money - the same place we get the money to pay people whilst doing nothing productive. In the UK, there is little difference in the cost to the taxpayer of someone who is unemployed and on benefits vs another in employment and paid a living wage. The difference is that one delivers a positive benefit thus reducing the effective cost to the country whereas the other does not.

As for the rest, we could easily take all the unemployed technicians, engineers and scientists out of unemployed status and into employment.

To argue that it will not clear the dole queue is absurd. If the state funded mega projects reduce the unemployment numbers by 10% - by taking people out of unemployment and into employed status that pays a living wage, surely it is worth doing?

Addendum: Yes - I did spend some time on my post #22 above. I felt it appropriate to highlight that whilst expertise in say carving candle holders, advising people on how to manage their finances whilst on the dole, take on small businesses to screw a few hunderd £ out of them or indeed be a buyer dealing with £20k contracts are worthwhile careers, they do not necessarily equip a person to carry out critical analysis on the "value for money" delivered by major infrastructure programmes.

I shall leave it there for the debate to continue.

Last edited by MSS; 23rd July 2019 at 12:53..