View Single Post
Old 28th December 2021, 19:03   #38
StewartIngram
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.5 V6 auto

Yes, I've already ordered the bolts along with the other bits.
Now, I'm thinking ahead. This is not a 'routine ' belt replacement, the old belt has snapped. So I have no idea where the timing is at. So, I guess the start is - before the heads are released - turn the crankshaft to the timing spot (top of the bottom toothed pulley?). I think that after that the crankshaft doesn't need to be moved.
Next, remove the old heads, I have no idea what the camshaft timing is at, but I'm replacing those heads so it doesn't matter. Now, let's keep this simple, and say the replacement heads were running ok and I'm putting them straight on(!).
I therefore can't see a need to clamp the liners - or am I missing something? If the new heads are bolted down, then each cam needs to be turned to the correct point, such that the rear marks line up. Correct? Then change the rear belts. Fit the front belt, give it a couple of turns by hand, and with all bits on it should go? Sounds simple (yeah!).
Now of course I'm going to check the new heads over, with some dismantling, but essentially putting them on (when back together) 'as received', hence the simplification earlier.
Is there anything I've missed? I bet there is.
StewartIngram is offline   Reply With Quote