View Single Post
Old 29th May 2019, 11:26   #15
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

The diesel issue is another problem altogether, sadly the diesel owner will most probably end up paying the price.

It all boils down to common sense I guest, I reckon by myself using the governments idea/format to work in our favour has 100% paid-off for us. I have made quite a considerable amount of saving by using the system to suit our needs. I certainly don't understand why the VED prices changed again after 31st March 2017 for all new cars, the new rates brought higher first year fees which alienated a lot customers from buying a new car.

2017 was the year that made diesels un-cool, if I recall correctly the Dacia and Renault dealerships didn't have enough petrol models to cope with demand. The forecourts were full of diesel models and customers were wanting to trade their not so very old diesel in for a petrol model.

I myself purposely bought our petrol model Dacia before March 2017 which allowed our model to fall into the low £30 VED price due to it having the Stop/Start feature, it was the only petrol Laureate model available in the UK at the time that was pre-2017 registered with the stop/start feature. I had my name down on a list at ten Renault dealerships across the country for this one certain model, many folk were doing the same which was all due to the £145 new change in VED and the diesel scaremongering.

Lets say if I were to buy the same model Dacia today NEW, or even a used one that was registered after 31st March 2017, I would now need to be paying £145 VED. I was adamant that I didn't want to pay the higher £145 VED price, because the whole point of us changing from a gas guzzling Ford Galaxy 2.3i to a very clever medium size SUV with a small 900cc engine was to save on VED and fuel costs.

The system can work for many people, a bit of common sense goes along way in the bigger picture of things. It just annoys me that I'm paying only £30 VED for a car which we use everyday, and also paying over £650 for two old MG's which use the roads once in awhile, I haven't found away to get around this yet.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote