Thread: Bonnie scotland
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2021, 16:11   #19
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
Referendum was supposed to be once in a generation not as many times as needed to get the result they want
A trick learned at the knee of Uncle EU.

But sometimes I wonder why the SNP make such an almighty hash of setting out exactly what their vision and plans are for Scottish Independence.

For the previous referendum their plans were so inept and one product (oil) orientated that the majority of voters saw that it would never work and so voted against Independence.

And now, after an excellent showing in these latest elections and with the help of the Greens there is a majority in favour in Holyrood for another Referendum.

And I agree with Sturgeon that given this majority - NOT allowing another Referendum would cause far more problems for the U.K. as a whole.

So let’s bite the bullet and get on with it!

But where is the SNP’s plans and timeline for everyone to see so that voters are voting for something real and tangible rather than something based upon an emotional dislike of the English and Boris in particular.

I find it odd that just like UKIP - the SNP seems to be a single idea party. They do not seem (from the figures I’ve seen) to be able to run Scotland without building up a significant Deficit - which of course the rest of the U.K. currently bails Scotland out on.

So do the SNP actually want to achieve Independence? Because if the do the buck stops with them. And as yet, the lack of detailed plans is getting worrying.

Yes Covid needs sorting, but for the U.K. things are going well. So surely now would be the time to present a clear agenda and detailed manifesto on the benefits to all of Independen

Instead we get “Well do it later”.

Why exactly is the SNP more keen on kicking this into the long grass?

Because if they DO NOT come up with the plans, are they banking on another “No” vote so that the status quo they seem to like can continue?

Or do they fear that they are a one trick pony akin to UKIP and once that “trick” is achieved - their reason and rationale for existence disappears.

As do the votes (just look at the latest (UKIP/Brexit party) results.

I say let’s ALL make sure a second referendum on Scottish Independence takes place. The sooner the better. A yes vote would force the SNP into the real world as the U.K. teat would be removed. A No vote, so close after the previous would really clear the table for a United Kingdom.

I think Scotland deserves better than a “one trick pony”.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote