View Single Post
Old 25th October 2015, 05:09   #9
Chuckles
Gets stuck in

NOW a Club Tourer was 1999 - 75 2.0Ltr Connoisseur SE petrol Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
I have removed air con compressors without touching the oil cooler.
How on earth?????

I had to remove the fixing bolts to oil cooler and the connecting pipes at the oil filter just to get enough movement to get at every thing including the rearmost fixing bolt. In my case there was no way to remove or even access the pump without that, I even had to lift the engine an inch or two to get a little movement on the cooler. The two small tags on the frame (one for the under tray the other holds the cross-over pipes) prevented any movement.

Mine is a PPD so perhaps there is a difference!

Made it the end though but not a job for the feint hearted! My thanks go to my Neighbouring works unit chap who had the four poster and the necessary engine lifting gear. It would have been extremely difficult without all that.

Your comments SD1too rely on the misnomer that the term "compressor" is not exactly correct. The system is filled under pressure and will not engage until the pressure is reached. The AC "Compressor/Pump" is just that; it is a pump that circulates, under pressure.... The system maintains its pressure all the time, even when not working/running. Hence it is a good practice to run the AC on a regular basis to maintain and lubricate the seals. Thank you for your comments though they are always welcomed, and create a healthy discussion, and that extra knowledge.

I am now going to play with my P5 3 litre Rover - it calms the nerves
Membership #1896
Don't take life so seriously.... it is not permanent!
Chuckles is offline   Reply With Quote