View Single Post
Old 8th July 2020, 01:41   #20
-Joe
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Classic SE 1.8T

Default clutch

I have changed slave cylinder at least 3 times.

1. First time was to remove original and replace with LUK rover part @100k.
2. This lasted about 3 months.
3. Put in another slave this time cheaper Freelander LUK part
4. Then I fitted a Tazu master. The old LUK master was filled with strands of plastic/ carbon which was killing the slaves.
5. With new master and slave and new fluid I figured fixed forever. However.

6. About 2 months later the slaves release bearing jammed in the clutch plate and the slave broke apart. Real tricky driving home.
7. I stripped down the car and made a hybrid slave cylinder. Rover rubber pipes OEM cheapo slave unit and the LUK release bearing.
8. For a year or so I had to regularly blead the clutch and keep topping up the master. The spilt clutch fluid on the plate that I didn't replace coz I'm poor took maybe 6 months to burn off in regular use.
9. In recent times however the slave seems to have gummed up and fixed itself I can't remember the last time I had to bleed it.

I think that replacing the slave cylinder on a R75 is the worst job ever. The stupid gearbox is a tight fit and weighs loads more than a PG1 box. It usually takes me days to do the job and I usually get hands cut up bleed and swear a lot whilst doing it. It's a good reason to buy the auto some would gloat

On you tube you can watch an old video of some LUK bloke taking about the wonderous light weight master cylinder they make for the new Rover 75. That part he is boasting about has sent thousands of othwerwise working Rover 75s & MGs to the scrapyard.

My advice worn LUK masters kill any type of slave cylinders quickly. This is ineveitable due to the 'advanced' poor material used in their construction.

I like the mrtal Tazu master even though it is hard to fit it don't sqeak. Got to fit a new master if your slave has gone on a 75.

All of the slaves I've bought Rover,LUK,Cheapo all were rubbish design and inspire no confidence whatsoever. If a metal slave cylinder replacement were available I would fit that.

Even if you drive real careful just try bleeding the clutch after a run the fluid is hot. Those flimsy plastic slave cylinders bearly cope.
-Joe is offline   Reply With Quote