View Single Post
Old 15th January 2020, 14:45   #22
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink View Post
The steering lock is operated by a sprung-loaded metal ring that surrounds a rectangular recess/hole on the column* - pressing the ring in the right place engages or disengages the steering lock.

* There's a rectangular metal protrusion on the back of the barrel that locates in this hole. When you turn the key the protrusion turns the hole and that's what operates the switch to start the engine.

The barrel is now dangling from the column by two orange transponder wires ............

Some pics to illustrate the above.

This one shows the rectangular recess/hole surrounded by the spring-loaded ring (para 1 above).

Closer. There's a lot of grease in there - nothing to do with me.

This is the rear of the barrel - the rectangular metal protrusion goes into the hole above (para 2) and turns as the key is turned.

Barrel side.

Barrel - other side.

Barrel front - the key entry cover isn't there. Hmm.

Close-up. Those two chunks of metal are the key guides (I think). The wet stuff is 'cos I just gave it a good dollop of WD40 and it's mixed with the graphite stuff that was already there.

Apart from the fact that the key entry cover seems to have vanished I can't see anything amiss from these pics.

Blink is offline   Reply With Quote