View Single Post
Old 29th September 2020, 11:47   #9
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Is the subframe badly corroded? Or is it the arms they refer too? My own MOT tester mentioned subframe (and I have read of others being advisories with the same), but it was nowhere near the corrosion of the arms themselves. So imagine if the frame is corroded, the arms will be closer to failure than the subframe (unless they have been previously replaced).

I replaced subframe with new, when I saw a hole in my upper arms. I had the arms already. Bought new springs and shocks. Painted everything, and built it up on the ground and fitted myself with a trolley jack. Someone who knows what they are doing I imagine could do this in a few hours - it took me roughly a day, 6 days in total though, with painting and underseal etc. No special tools were needed for the rear (an electric impact gun helped with shock and arm bolts).

The old subframe though was still solid, lots of surface rust, so had it sandblasted and primed which cost £80 - therefore the one you have seen, seems like a bargain.

If it was me, I would get new arms, consider new bolts, springs and shocks (warning, new nuts and bolts are around £70-80 on their own!).

It was worth it, as I have peace of mind over it, but ultimately, I only needed to have the arms replaced, and I suspect the MOT tester was suggesting the arms were part of the actual subframe.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote