View Single Post
Old 20th April 2021, 20:46   #14
bsafly
Just going about!

Rover 75 CDTi Connie SE Tourer starlight silver and serpents. MG ZT-T 190+ in Raven Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogmike View Post
Hi.. Just had the same problem and saw this post from 2014 and it's now April 2021..On reading the threads I thought I'd check out some of the advice before forking out for new discs and pads as I also had the same though.. warped disc..! I am very happy to report it was a rusted area on the two front discs. They looked OK on first glance but when I started with the wire wool I found an area that gave resistance to my polishing.. Then I used some medium rough sand paper and behold under the blackish sheen there was a rusted surface. It was where the disc pads were at rest when the car was laid up for about 3 - 4 months. Must of been put away wet.
Any way a happy ending thanks to this original post.
That's the really good thing about the club and these forums.. Thanks guys... Mogmike
Recently my 75 tourer developed a brake judder, i decided to renew all the brake discs and fit new handbrake shoes at the same time as the handbrake had become very inefficient over the winter months.
I knew the front discs were worn, the rears looked reasonable until i removed them and turned them over, the rear faces were very badly corroded and the drum surface for the handbrake was totally shot (first photo shows the outside of one rear disc, the second shows the rear face). bizarrely i hadn't noticed any drop-off in efficiency though.
As it turned out the handbrake shoes were in surprisingly good shape given how bad the drum face was, I changed them anyway though - I now have a nice efficient handbrake.
This just goes to show that although a brake disc may look OK on the front face, the rear face may be quite a different story!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210416_220426.jpg (139.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 20210416_220515.jpg (140.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0656.jpg (137.0 KB, 17 views)
bsafly is offline   Reply With Quote