View Single Post
Old 3rd March 2020, 23:25   #310
guru
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT, Rover Sterling, MG ZS EV & BMW X5

Very aware that the council won't provide free power forever however might as well take advantage whilst they do! We only park in the city 2 or 3 times a month but the plan is to make sure the car is as low as possible when we do

As for tax, of course the government will have to change the way it charges when most cars are electric and I suspect a per mile 'toll' on road use will be the way they do that as obviously the 'fuel' can't be taxed heavily without hurting everyone.

In the long term I think the days of mass car ownership are numbered. It won't be too long before most people simply call for an autonomous car which will come to their door and take them wherever they want to go. Given that most cars spend a huge majority of their time doing precisely nothing this does make a lot of sense and of course it'll get a lot of less-than-great drivers off the road, probably the type of people who don't really enjoy driving anyway and would rather not be doing it anyway.

Of course there will always be us car nuts who will own and run their own cars and no matter what happens to mass transit that's not likely to change.