View Single Post
Old 28th August 2014, 10:10   #5
Borg Warner
I really should get out more.......

None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverite View Post
I have just read that Unipart have gone into Administration. Apparently, three companies are taking over some of their shops, including Euro Car Parts, who have acquired 27 branches and 100 of the 1200 people being made redundant. This follows the recent collapse of Quinton Hazel and leaves me wondering how secure X-Part is in these difficult times.

Having worked in the 'Dealer/Distributor' parts network of BMC, BL, etc., between 1964 and 2000, I have a great respect for Unipart. In 1964 the 'group' was BMC, which included MG, Austin, Morris, Wolseley, Riley and Vanden Plas; there was no Triumph, Jaguar, or Rover connection, other than Pressed Steel who made their body shells and who came under the BMC umbrella around that time.

All parts had to be purchased through BMC, as part of the 'dealer' franchise agreement. These parts were sometimes packaged as BMC items, but often they were Lockheed, Girling, Borg & Beck, etc., packaged items with a BMC part number sticker on the box. The very same items could be bought from the various factors at much better discounts than was available via BMC. Obviously, many dealers bought what were termed 'spurious' parts from outside the BMC network, which gave them a better discount, but were still of OE quality, which was often passed on to the various 'garage' customers, however, this could find the dealer defaulting on his 'dealer' agreement, with the loss of the franchise.

Things came to a head when BMC tried to challenge the dealer network, but they met with a strong objection and to cut a long story short, they brought out a range called Unipart. Initially, the parts were repackaged items in black, white and brown boxes, and only for BMC vehicles, but above all, the discounts were on par with the same genuine parts from the factors. Sometime later, in the early days of BL, the range was enlarged to 'All Makes', with new packaging, now the familiar red, white and blue; all this was supported by heavy advertising campaigns. Eventually, the very large Unipart company was sold off to the directors, whose baby it was and although now an independent company, they still supplied all the parts for BL/Austin Rover. However, in the last throws of BMW/MGR, Unipart lost the parts contract to Caterpillar/X-part.

A sad loss I think.

Roverite.

Worries me too Colin. We are already having difficulty getting parts for our cars simply to get them through their annual MOT. If X-Part chuck the towel in we are going to be in serious trouble me thinks.
Borg Warner is offline   Reply With Quote