Old 6th April 2020, 16:45   #177
Phil
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
God bless Phil ��
Thank you. He is sorely missed.

They are just as much family as anyone else.

Oscar had been in and out of the vets a bit recently, with lameness on his back leg.
The vet said that all was ok, he was just a bit stiff due to his age.
He was prescribed daily medication and given an injection to "break the pain cycle."
On top of that he was given some strong pain killers to only use if he had a flare up again. This was in January

All settled down nicely with just his new daily medication. We even went on holiday shortly before his last day and he was great. Walking around with me on the cliffs of Pembrokeshire. He was like a puppy..

Anyway, the days leading up to his last, he went lame again. No worries we thought. We were told this would happen so gave him the stronger medication as instructed.
It didn't help so I contacted the vet. I had a telephone consultation (because of the virus) and went and collected further medication to try the following morning, to compliment his other medication, as instructed.

Anyway, tomorrow never came.

We didn't want him to try walking up the stairs that night so we decided that we would all sleep downstairs with him so he had no temptation to brave the stairs and risk further hurting himself.
I turned the lights off, laid on the floor next to him and held his paw.
Normally he would pull his paw away after a few seconds, but he didn't. He just rested his head on my hand.
I remember thinking "that's sweet, he doesn't usually do that" and with that, I fell asleep.
I awoke at 3.30am to the sound of heavy breathing. I jumped up, turned the light on and woke Emma.
I sat next to him and held his head, talking to him and stroking him.
It was at this point we realised that the end was near and a few moments later he slipped away.
It's the worst thing I've ever had to witness. Losing someone who you are that close to.
I couldn't let him go through that on his own.
It was a big shock and we really weren't expecting the outcome to be this.
He was as sharp as a knife, even before we went to sleep he was dishing out high fives and smiling.