View Single Post
Old 7th March 2015, 14:12   #9
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceetdm View Post
Any advise on how to check if they are actually worn? Sometimes these advisories just seem to be at the whim of the tester.

Tommy :-)
All such things do have some play, or you wouldn't be able to move the joint.

Jack the front end up, lash the steering wheel tightly so it cannot move, then get someone to rock the road wheel slightly side to side. You put your hand on the rack the other on the tie rod where it emerges from the bellows of the rack.

You might get a better feel, grasping if you can the tie-rod either side of the joint inside the bellows, because the above method will include a small amount of play in the rack itself.

Any play or noise doing that and they need replacing.

Its like a ball and socket joint. You are looking for any play between the ball and its socket.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote