Old 13th March 2021, 20:31   #46
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
Totally playing Devil's advocate here.

I've been in a similar position and I'm sure there's a vast number of others who have as well.

Did you have enough distance to STOP in the distance you could see to be clear in your own lane?

But let me guess.... the lorry didn't move out when it was "safe" distance away which would have given you possibly 3 times the distance you needed (lorry weight + speed is going to need much more STOPPING distance).

And I absolutely know what it's like to break down and crawl to a refuge area. Been there, done that, got the underpants to show for it.

I keep harping on about space not speed. And, in general, we know the group of drivers that don't keep their distance - they're mentioned above.

I'd happily see a massive campaign of targeting "tailgating" lorries on the Motorway network with big incentives to change their behaviours. Perhaps the thought of being pulled off the motorway for a multi agency check of the vehicle, the load, the driver etc. etc. might be enough?

Glad that your skills kept you safe and you weren't involved in any sort of collision.

Take care out there.
large vehicle overtakes and pulls in front but not leaving a 2 second gap or any view, they see the broken down vehicle and move to lane 2 but the following vehicle is even closer then the one in front, they may not be able to stop or swerve and through perhaps through no fault of their own pile into the stationary vehicle. I have posted before a link to a crash that I am sure has this scenario.

macafee2
macafee2 is online now   Reply With Quote