View Single Post
Old 30th June 2021, 16:00   #26
johnnyb44
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75

Well I've got the dreaded answer from the garage.
It is indeed the crank pulley that's tragically failed. The outer pulley has completely separated from the rubber inner and was freely spinning. The awful noise is were a piece of the outer pulley is folded over and making contact with another folded piece of metal on the inner part (hence the awful clanking noise) As was there the garage owner was putting on the new pulley and then watched and talked whilst he fitted the smaller of the 2 belts. I made a hasty retreat when he grabbed the larger second belt, as from past experience that's the awkward one to do. I'm a bit miffed the first replacement only lasted 4 years and 27000 miles so hopefully this quality one should last the test of time. I was expecting to see the old one chewed up with bits missing from the rubber, but it was a clean break between them.
As much as could do with out this unexpected expense in relieved its not something terminal with the car. It would of been a great shame to see it end its life when it looks so well. As he's got the undertray off I've asked him to give the front sub frame a good wax oil whilst its exposed and on the ramps as its looking a bit crusty.
Thank you all so much for all your help and support whilst I'm going through some open wallet surgery 🤣🤣