View Single Post
Old 9th December 2016, 15:06   #10
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
Get yourself over to BigRuss for a T4 session & sound advice mate He's in Liversedge, I think? unless he's moved
Very sound advice.

An expert ear might find things are not as serious as you think.

Besides if your wife drives like mine then having her drive you about will be a fate worse than death.--

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyv310 View Post
Hi.
It begs the question as to whether the oil was changed when the gasket was replaced? Also if the liners and ladder were supported when the head was off and the crankshaft was turned could make the main bearings rotate resulting in wear and loss of oil pressure? The fact you have had to reset the valve timing makes me think the job wasn't done by a reputable mechanic.

If the oil pressure is so low at tick over (3-5psi) so it puts the light on then to me there must be considerable wear or a weak oil pump.
Big end noise is a classic sound but not many these days will be able to diagnose it correctly, it takes more than just a rev.
Big ends that are worn make less noise when cold due to the fact the oil is more viscous and can take up a little more slack in the bearings, once hot the rattle usually get louder when you lift your foot slightly off the throttle, this is due to less loading on the big ends at this point, under acceleration or load and also with your foot off the accelerator the loading is higher (Engine accelerating = load, conversely engine braking = load)
Revving the engine then backing off with give you a quick burst of a rattle as will holding the the revs in neutral.
Hi Trevor.

I don't think the OP mentioned Head Gaskets.

Merry Xmas.------

Last edited by Dragrad; 14th December 2016 at 00:39.. Reason: Consecutive posts, please use the edit or multi-quote options ;-)
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote