Thread: grill badge
View Single Post
Old 4th October 2020, 00:41   #2
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by david75 View Post
When I bought my car (R75 facelift) about a year ago the previous owner had very decently replaced the front grill badge, so it was nice and pristine.

However, since then it went all dull and almost unreadable through a sort of milkyness, which normal cleaning didn't remove.

Today I used some rubbing compound on it, which cleared the milkyness off the outer surface ok, but revealed that the badge seems to have delaminated slightly, as can be seem in the picture - the brighter red patch is where water has got in.

As it was not bought by me, I don't know whether the badge was OEM or replica, nor do I know whether a replacement eg from Rimmers https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID001816 would quickly go the same way.

Any advice please?
That looks like a V8 3D grill badge. The correct R75 Mk2 badge is just a thin self adhesive decal that fits into the recess of the chrome grill trim - pays your money, takes your choice but you have to do a bit of bodging to fit the 3D version.
Regardless of which one you prefer they all suffer from water ingress into the substrate either via the edge of the decal or through road debris damage to the outer clear coating (it's also possible for water to get in from behind the decal because there are a couple of holes in the surround trim). Fit whatever replacement you fancy and then give it two or three light coats of semi-gloss clear acrylic varnish to seal it all up, giving close attention to the edges of the decal.
Club member Jezzer on here does/used to do a nice reproduction decal.
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote