View Single Post
Old 17th October 2016, 21:16   #3
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by klarzy View Post
Its not unusual to leave the rear half of the inner bearing shell on the stub axel, they are a split design and it's why torqueing correctly is so essential.
Luckily this has only happened to me once - chisel will get it free.
Quote:
I sometimes remove mine and clean / re-grease the bearing before refitting and you should torque to 210 Nm or 21kgs of rotational force 1 meter from the centre of the nut, that can seem bloomin hard to shift if you only have a short socket set....
You wouldn't try to remove a wheel nut just using a ratchet handle, why would you try that on a bearing! The front hub nut on my Megane is 275nm - that's fine with the correct tool but impossible otherwise.

The hardest part is the stakenut - it's possible to remove it without staking if you can put the force in (with a 36" breaker bar it's easy) but it's probably not a good idea.
Quote:
if you use the same nut then ensure the staved area on the old nut is not reused, or better still, get new nuts (they usually come in a bearing kit...).
I think Brian recommends the opposite - the staked portion of the nut provides a datum and should line up exactly if torqued correctly.

Although the bearings SHOULD come with new nuts - they often don't, or come with the wrong size (which fits the stub axle, but not in the recess). And buying a new nut from Rimmers et al is just extortionate - and I couldn't find them anywhere else.
Jakg is offline   Reply With Quote