View Single Post
Old 11th May 2021, 12:55   #10
2750 HP
Loves to post

ZT CDTI, 190+, 260, Triumph TR4, Rolls Royce, Bentley and Mercedes E220d cabriolet

I would imagine that for many on here the ZT / 75 is a hobby and perhaps costs are not the greatest consideration. Others like myself also have one as daily driver - in my case a ZT CDTi that averages 25k per year. Not particularly bothered how shiny it is so long as it is ultra reliable which it generally is.

My other hobby is railways and some of you are aware of my sole ownership of a standard guage steam locomotive. It last was in service on 31/12/20 and is now under overhaul: costs so far are not far short of £20k to include construction of a complete new 1,200 gallon (saddletank aka water tank), complete new smokebox and door, full set of boiler tubes, new mag drill (110v and mid sized industrial), two lots of road transport for the tank, paint and smaller bits. This all before the main boiler overhaul and replacement of the big end brasses - to give you an idea of scale, the cylinders are 18" diameter with a 26" stroke x 2 and the engine weighs 49 tons. Someone once said "to own a steam locomotive is the best way of turning a large fortune into a small one". Personally never had the former but as regards the latter i would be financially better off but over 40 years of ownership the enjoyment to me at any rate is incalculable.

Steve
2750 HP is offline   Reply With Quote