Thread: Wishbone Help
View Single Post
Old 9th June 2021, 12:59   #25
Ducati750cc
Loves to post

Rover75 tourer

Regarding "breaker bars", this term conjures up an image of brute force and ignorance in my mind.

That would only be if you don't know what a breaker bar is, what it is used for and why the term ' breaker bar' is used.

It is called a breaker bar because its function is to allow more force to be applied to a fastener than can be applied with other tools, depending on length, to ' break ' a threaded fastener free, which may be excessively tight or corroded and can not be released with normal length tools.

Though if used incorrectly and to excess in the wrong hands, yes it can break or snap a fastening but that is not its design function !

Some times brute force is the only way to loosen something, as I have used many times over the years, either by using breaker bars or my torque multiplier which appears, due to the low effort required, to be quite a gentle tool but is far from it at the business end.

True brute force with fastenings was what my sons enjoyed seeing their grandad do when he was replacing oak timbers for one of his hammer beds, watching his staff knock the colours out of large square mounting nuts that he made, with a ' slam spanner ' as he called it, which he also made, the spanner hung on chains and tensioned by chains, no torque setting, just hammered until he determined it sounded right.

So yes, severely brutal in the truest sense of the word but certainly no sign of ignorance, quite the opposite in fact.