Thread: Wishbone Help
View Single Post
Old 10th June 2021, 07:48   #29
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
But why bother wasting all that time setting up your torque wrench for a job that it might not be capable of? ... I started an engineering apprenticeship in 1975 Simon ...
Mike, you must surely have noticed during your 45 years experience that it takes about fifteen seconds to set a torque wrench and another five to check its maximum capability. That isn't a waste of time by any standard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TourerSteve View Post
The bolt is not exact torque critical and Sufficient tightening from a competent person will render the vehicle safe and roadworthy.
These bolts have a torque setting allocated to them by MG Rover. It's my practice to respect that whenever possible and in this case it is possible to tighten them to the required 150 Nm. No matter what your opinion is on that, it is the safest, most reliable and professional way to do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TourerSteve View Post
Why would you use and risk damaging a Torque wrench ...
Here's why that's not true Steve:
  1. There is no risk of damaging a torque wrench because it's designed to notify the user when the chosen torque has been reached.
  2. You should select a torque wrench with a range appropriate to the job. The wrench I used is capable of 300 Nm, over double the bolt's specification.
  3. The ratchet, also capable of handling the tool's maximum torque setting, is invaluable in confined spaces.
  4. Norbar, who manufacture, repair and recalibrate torque wrenches, publicly state that they can be used for releasing tasks.
By asking these questions Steve you're giving the impression that you have little experience of torque wrenches. They're not mysterious things to be feared and left on the shelf in preference to a crude and uncontrolled "breaker bar". When you try this job for yourself, why not see how much better a torque wrench is?
Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
... as long as you can set the torque wrench to a figure higher than the normal force required to tighten the said bolt nothing will break. The torque wrench will let you know when to stop pulling by clicking ...
I believe it to be true that a torque wrench ratchet will be designed to work safely up to the wrenches rated capacity. ( I think this was the point that Simon was trying to make.)

Thank you Jon! At last some sense prevails. Mike and Steve please take note!

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 10th June 2021 at 11:30.. Reason: Some wording changed for clarity.
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote