View Single Post
Old 30th June 2022, 16:16   #13
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
I can understand the query between pay, one that I have asked myself. I think a 100k is low. I do feel we need to up the minimum wage but is £15 to much?
Hopefully you and I can find middle ground. There are wages that are on the face of it ridiculous but how do you compare an office cleaner to a surgeon when it comes to pay? A loaf of bread and a tube of toothpaste costs the both the same

15k seems low, what do they do and how many hours do they work?

We have professions that we under value.
We have people that make it into the top 5% of wealth by hard work and being careful and not by being high earners
and I hope you will appreciate their efforts and not look to take it away.

macafee2

The technician's published pay is around £19k pro-rata for an official 35-37 hours per week (excluding lunch break etc.) So in reality a 40-hour week. But the pay is reduced pro-rata because of the summer break down to 38-40 weeks, reducing the actual pay to £15k. The same occurs with teacher's pay - it's similarly reduced from the published pay scales.

As a wealthy nation we have no excuse for not paying a living wage to anyone - this is probably around £12 per-hour i.e £23k PA. Your surgeon or CEO of say an education trust or a university vice-chancellor earning £100k to £120k max would be paid a premium of a 4-5 multiplying factor to account for the education and skill level. As it is, vice-chancellors often earn £400k to £500k PA!

Overall, we are suffering from an industial scale mutual appreciation at senior management levels resulting in excessive pay increases. It was announced last week that Birmingham Airport's Chief Executive received a 49% pay increase to take his salary to a mere £595k PA - at a time that these airports are unable to provide basic services to their customers!