View Single Post
Old 18th July 2014, 11:50   #110
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigeeb View Post
As stated i bought the camera to try and better my photography skills.They are pics of plants in my garden, the red flower heads are an house ornament bulb with one time flowering and a squirrel at centre parcs in Nottingham.Obviously because they were taken with auto switched on , there was little skill involved,.I now need to try and get used to the other settings and terminology used by writers of threads such as these and improve further.Thanks for taking time to look .
On your dial you should have various settings, the first one to try would be Av (think it may be just A on a Nikon, not sure what the Olympus setting is!) which stands for Aperture Priority/value.
This setting basically controls how much of your image is in focus by adjusting the F stop value.
For example if you wished to take a landscape Vista you would generally want the whole scene to be in focus so would choose a high F stop number of say F11 or above.

If you wanted to take a picture of a subject and to make it stand out from the background then you would use a low F stop number such as F5.6 or lower.
The range of Aperture control is dependent on the Lens itself.
There are many other variables when changing these settings as changing one setting will have a knock effect to another.
For instance a large F number will slow the shutter down so in low light conditions you may need to support the camera to stop any camera shake affecting the image.

Get creative and try taking a series of the same shot changing the settings.
Make a note of the settings and when you look back at them see what one pleases you.
You will then know to try this again

Last edited by coolcat; 18th July 2014 at 11:52..
coolcat is offline   Reply With Quote