View Single Post
Old 5th January 2021, 09:24   #15
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default A tricky one.

If I base my answer on my own education I always come back to this, I learned to read and write before I started school, I remember my first day and my first school friend from that day. The following years at school left me with memories that are fairly cloudy, I think it's not about the time spent in classes but the quality of that time, social skills have been in decline for many years now and interaction with others has become a lost part of schooling. There have been many years lost in education where schools were only teaching children how to pass sats to keep the school marks up, it didn't benefit the pupils to do this. There's other issues such as disruptive children that may or may not have learning difficulties, each one of those has a teaching assistant to help with inclusion but I can't see a point in that, the schooling will end and the children that have learning difficulties will leave school no better off and with less support, some schools took out insurance policies to protect them from legal action by pupils who had their schooling disrupted by those with difficulties.
The main point I'm raising is that a pupil can continue to learn out of class, their levels of social interaction will not differ much due to technology, it's a recoverable situation and children are mostly resilient to change, In the medium to long term the schools will start to function as normal again, I think it will be a different kind of normal where learning might have more value than it does now, the constant barrage of testing should be consigned to the bin and real lessons constructed beyond a national curriculum should be the new way, we need individual minds in education and not the mass produced sheep of recent years.
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote